Why does SLPG exist?
The Shakespeare Line Promotion Group (SLPG) has its origins in the group that was formed to fight the proposals to close sections of the North Warwickshire Line in the 1960s. Due to that group’s efforts the line was saved and is now a thriving rail route and has attracted infrastructure and train service investment.
What we do
SLPG encourages the use of Birmingham and Stratford-upon-Avon railway and promote the line’s benefits to residents and visitors.
We monitor operational standards of trains and stations and liaise closely with Train Operating Companies, Government, Councils, and Regulatory Authorities raising issues and also putting forward new ideas.
We promote further development of The Shakespeare Line as a major transport asset for the Birmingham, Solihull and Warwickshire areas and this includes supporting the need for an Economic Impact Study on the feasibility and benefits from reopening the railway between Stratford upon Avon and Long Marston.
Our aims & objectives
The new Aims and Objectives were adopted by the Committee in May 2018.
The key Aims & Objectives of the Shakespeare Line Promotion Group are:
- Three train services an hour between Birmingham and Stratford upon Avon
One service each way per hour via Solihull and Dorridge
Two services each way per hour via Shirley and Whitlocks End
• One service each way calling at all principal and request stations
• One service each way calling at Henley in Arden, Wythall and then all stations from Whitlocks End to Spring Road
- Acceleration of the introduction of the more frequent and semi-fast services above to 2020/21
- An increase in the present total of 3 direct services between Stratford upon Avon and London Marylebone
- Introduction of London Paddington – Oxford – Stratford direct services as part of the Great Western franchise
- Secure West Midlands Trains promise for new rolling stock and more seats by 2021
- Press for longer train formations on Bank Holidays to service day trip passengers
- Explore options for a pedestrian footbridge from the car park to platform 1 at Whitlocks End in conjunction with additional car parking
- Continue pressing local authorities to ensure adequate car parking is available at busy stations, especially where new housing developments are planned
- Pursue opportunities and ideas to renovate and restore Henley in Arden station
- Secure completion of Stratford upon Avon station improvements by end of 2019
- Promote station adoption to 100% coverage
- Establish, develop and participate in a Community Rail Partnership
- Work with key stakeholders to increase route patronage
- Press for incentives for visitors to visit Stratford upon Avon by rail
- Contribute to Vintage Trains vision and plans for scheduled steam services
- Completion of an Economic Impact Study on reopening Stratford – Honeybourne railway
- Campaign for a thorough revenue protection policy to be adopted by West Midland Trains and Chiltern Railways to discourage fare dodgers
- Increase SLPG membership